On Thursday, the Trump administration once again delayed the closure of the main units of the Eddystone fossil fuel power plant in Pennsylvania by ordering Constellation Energy Corp CEG.O to continue operating units 3 and 4 beyond the scheduled closure date.
US Energy Secretary Chris Wright issued an emergency order instructing the largest electricity grid in North America, PJM Interconnection, to work with Constellation Energy to ensure both units remain operational and “to minimize costs for the American people,” the Department of Energy said in a statement.
“Energy sources that work when needed most are inherently the most valuable – that’s why natural gas and oil were valuable during last year’s peak consumption periods,” Mr. Wright said in the statement.
The Trump administration has used emergency powers to keep certain aging coal and gas power plants in service beyond their planned retirement dates, citing concerns about grid reliability. Mr. Trump has sought to bolster government support for fossil fuels and maximize their production in the US, the world’s top oil and gas producer, after campaigning on the slogan “drill, baby, drill.”
Mr. Wright initially ordered the two Eddystone units to remain in service beyond their planned retirement date of late May 2025, then issued further orders in 2025 and 2026 to keep these units operational.
The latest order, issued on Thursday, will keep the Eddystone units in service until August 22, 2026.




/2026/05/22/6a1063c1cb479726879971.jpg)
