What is your take on the opinion piece that has been stirring the film world for two weeks?
The signatories of the opinion piece “Zapper Bolloré” (more than 2,000 film professionals, ed), published on May 14, 2026, are citizens expressing fear. Vincent Bolloré owns Canal+ and is preparing to take control of the UGC cinema network.
He has an ideology that he does not hide. He has already influenced the editorial line of newspapers, radio stations, and television channels that he has taken over. What recently happened in publishing, with the abrupt dismissal of Grasset’s boss, Olivier Nora, has created a fear that a similar ideological shift could occur in the cinema industry.
The signatories fear that this shift may cost them their jobs. But so far, it must be said clearly, Canal+ is almost impeccable and funds a wide variety of films. In many ways, this opinion piece is a trial of intent.
The director of Canal+, Maxime Saada, has responded firmly. He wants his company to no longer work with the signatories of this opinion piece.
First of all, I see this as the heated reaction of a boss fed up with people who, in his eyes, bite the hand that feeds them. It is also an absurd demonstration that the expressed fears are unfounded.
Maxime Saada essentially says: “You suspect us of wanting to censor you when we will buy UGC. But in reality, we already have the means, and you can see that we are not doing it.” Finally, Canal+ is a partner of film professionals who negotiate constantly. And its boss also reminds that it is a powerful player.
Why does the Bolloré group want to buy UGC?
Canal+, which was very vulnerable a few years ago due to the arrival of Netflix, then Disney and Amazon, had to evolve its model. This includes what is called vertical integration, which involves being present at all stages of the chain: production, distribution, broadcast, and exploitation. Buying UGC (34% currently, potentially 100% by 2028), the 3rd largest cinema operator in France, fits into a classic industrial strategy.
Is the French cinema industry so dependent on Canal+?
Yes. First, it must be said that the French cinema system is amazing. In many of our neighboring countries, production is declining. In France, we have managed to maintain an industrial fabric – equipment, technicians – that allows us to make films. And French cinema represents 40% of the market share in our country, which is absolutely unique in Europe.
This system is based on three pillars. The National Cinema Center (CNC) levies part of the film revenues – including American blockbusters – to reinvest in national production. It is not public money, as some politicians claim who want to dismantle this essential entity.
The second pillar consists of television channels that are required to promote French films. The third pillar is Canal+, which currently participates in financing about half of French films, injecting more money than TF1, France Télévision, and Arte combined – even though it is less than it used to be, it is still very difficult to do without them.



