Watch: NASCAR CEO speaks after news of Kyle Busch’s death, ahead of Coca-Cola 600

    10
    0

    CONCORD, N.C. (WBTV) – The CEO of NASCAR held a press conference Friday afternoon ahead of the Coca-Cola 600 in Concord, and just after the news of Kyle Busch’s death.

    NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell held a press conference at 5 p.m. on Friday, May 22 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. This live stream has ended. You can watch the entire press conference in the video player up above.

    O’Donnell addressed the media, and the community, after Busch’s sudden death on Thursday, May 21. The press conference was not scheduled prior to Busch’s passing, which came just before a big racing weekend in Concord.

    O’Donnell delivered remarks about Busch, and shared few details about the specifics related to Busch’s death. The CEO said Busch would’ve been upset if they hadn’t continued with their plans to race this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

    “Kyle would be pretty pissed off if we didn’t race, so we’re going to honor his memory,†O’Donnell said.

    You can listen to all of his remarks in the video player up above.

    Kyle Busch dies suddenly this week

    Busch’s family — along with NASCAR and his current team Richard Childress Racing — announced that Busch, 41, had died on Thursday.

    Watch: NASCAR CEO speaks after news of Kyle Busch’s death, ahead of Coca-Cola 600
    Kyle Busch waves to fans before a NASCAR Cup Series auto race, Sunday, April 26, 2026, in Talladega, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)(Butch Dill | AP)

    The two-time NASCAR champion was expected to race at Charlotte Motor Speedway the following weekend, until his family announced that he would not be racing. A statement from his family on Thursday said Busch was hospitalized with a severe illness, and wouldn’t be participating in the Coca-Cola 600.

    Later that same day, it was announced that Busch had died suddenly.

    “Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch,†a joint statement from the Busch family, NASCAR, and the team read. “A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.â€

    The announcement came just hours after Busch’s family said he was “undergoing treatment†for the severe illness. It was not specified what the illness was.

    Busch died 11 days after he asked a doctor to give him a “shot†after finishing a Cup Series race at Watkins Glen. He had reportedly been battling a cold at the time.

    According to the TV broadcast of that race on May 10, Busch had been struggling with a “sinus cold that was exacerbated by the intense G-forces and elevation changes at the New York road course,†the Associated Press reports.

    Busch became unresponsive on Wednesday, May 20 while testing in Chevrolet’s racing simulator in Concord, according to a report. He was reportedly taken to a hospital in Charlotte, with his family announcing his hospitalization on Thursday.

    —> More: Kyle Busch was ‘coughing up some blood’ before sudden death, 911 caller says

    His official cause of death had not been publicly released, as of early Friday afternoon.

    Busch is survived by his wife and two children. He is the younger brother of NASCAR Hall of Famer Kurt Busch, who retired in 2023.

    “Our hearts are with Samantha, Brexton, Lennix and the entire Busch family during this incredibly difficult time,†Speedway Motor Sports said in a statement, in part, Thursday. “We extend our deepest condolences, prayers and unwavering support as they mourn the loss of someone who meant so much to so many.â€

    —> From the WBTV archives: Kyle Busch finishes 2nd in NASCAR Busch Series debut in May 2003

    Copyright 2026 WBTV. All rights reserved.