Home World United States: A man opens fire in a mosque in San Diego,...

United States: A man opens fire in a mosque in San Diego, police intervene

5
0

Police Neutralizes Threat After Attack on San Diego Islamic Center

Police said they have “neutralized” a “threat” after an attack at an Islamic center in San Diego on Monday.

Gunfire erupted on Monday at a mosque in San Diego, local authorities cited by the Associated Press reported. Three people died, while the two suspected shooters, teenagers, were found dead nearby, according to the FBI.

Several shots were reported at the Islamic Center of San Diego, the county’s largest mosque, about 14 km north of downtown. Law enforcement was heavily deployed around the place of worship.

Dozens of police cars and heavily armed officers began to surround the area, according to local media images.

President Donald Trump called it a “terrible situation.”

Threat “Neutralized”

“Emergency teams are on site and actively working to protect the community and secure the area,” Mayor Todd Gloria said in a message on X.

On the same network, police later stated that the threat had been “neutralized.” Aerial images showed more than a dozen children holding hands and leaving the mosque’s parking lot.

“All children, staff, and teachers are safe outside the Islamic center,” explained the center’s leader, Imam Taha Hassane.

However, he added, “We have some victims, but it is not yet confirmed.” “There is no longer a threat at the moment,” he reassured.

The presumed shooters were teenagers and their victims were adult men, according to law enforcement.

The suspects, likely aged 17 and 19, are believed to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said, as cited by NBC.