Home World The United States favors a diplomatic solution Cuba would have accepted direct...

The United States favors a diplomatic solution Cuba would have accepted direct aid of 100 million dollars.

7
0

Marco Rubio: Cuba accepts US aid offer of 100 million dollars

  • Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated on Thursday, May 21, that Cuba had accepted a 100 million dollar humanitarian aid offer.
  • The communist regime faces power outages and fuel shortages since the US imposed a blockade.
  • Donald Trump has repeatedly expressed his desire to control the island state.

One hundred million dollars. This is the amount of American aid that the Cuban government is said to have accepted, according to US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Thursday, May 21. “They say they have accepted it. We will see if this means that it will work,” added the head of the Trump administration’s diplomacy in front of journalists in his hometown of Miami.

On the other side of the shore, the government of Havana has, for now, publicly stated that it is examining the offer made by Washington, without formally confirming its acceptance. Especially as the Trump camp sets its conditions.

“We will not provide humanitarian aid that falls into the hands of their military apparatus. They then take these goods, sell them in stores for a dollar, and pocket the money,” warned Marco Rubio, who is of Cuban descent but a fierce critic of the communist regime.

The United States favors a diplomatic solution Cuba would have accepted direct aid of 100 million dollars.

Lire aussi

Tensions between Cuba and the United States: Havana threatens a “bloodbath with incalculable consequences” in case of American military intervention

But this aid does not smother the intense tensions between the two countries. Havana accuses Washington of politically paving the way for a military intervention, which, if materialized, “would cause a bloodbath with incalculable consequences,” denounced Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel, for whom his country “is already undergoing a multidimensional aggression from the United States.”

With the embargo in place since 1962, Washington also added a fuel blockade in January that restricts fuel oil supplies, causing repeated shortages and power cuts.

Raul Castro indicted

New escalation of tensions: on Wednesday, Washington announced the indictment of former Cuban President Raul Castro, 94, for a conspiracy to assassinate Americans in 1996. Such an accusation, in a case that dates back more than thirty years, has sparked speculations that Donald Trump could use these accusations as a pretext to attack and arrest Cuba, similar to Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, captured by US forces in January and held in the United States since then.

“The President always has the ability to do whatever is necessary to support and protect the national interests and national security of the United States,” warned Marco Rubio. Before adding, “That said, we always prefer a diplomatic solution.”

Aymen Amiri with AFP